Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Results of Swimming

Now that it's summer and my pool is open, I have been trying to swim about 4-5 days a week. This has resulted in some effects, some hilarious, some mundane. Here they are:

--Sore arms afterwards. Who knew swimming laps every night would result in sore upper arms? I could barely open the refrigerator door. So pathetic. I have no upper body strength.

--Freckles. Lots of them. In fact, I am hoping that my freckles will eventually merge into one giant freckle and it will look like I have a tan!

--Needing to switch to a darker shade of foundation. All this outdoor exposure means I had to move up from the lightest shade of bare minerals to the next-to-lightest. That's kind of a big deal for me. You know the kids at the pool when I was young used to call me "Casper."

--Sudden cravings for chinese food. I don't know what it is about swimming, but it makes me really hungry and it makes me want chinese food. Thus far I have resisted the siren call. But I'm not sure how long I can hold out.

--Higher kid tolerance. The same group of kids swims in the pool every evening, but instead of finding their insistent shouting and laughing annoying...I kind of like it. They were playing sharks and minnows this evening, and was actually really cute and made me nostalgic.

--Less conscience about walking around in a bathing suit. Once it becomes old hat, you kind of don't give a shit anymore.

--Making friends with the Eastern-European lifeguards. The one who was a total bitch to me the first couple days of the summer now totally loves me because my friend Erika and her adorable son Brandon have come to swim several times. Nobody can resist the lure of 18 month old Brandon!

--Better budgeting of my evening time. Spending an hour in the pool every night means I can't afford to just sit on my ass and lull around all night. I gotta get dinner done, do the dishes, pack a lunch for the next day, plus whatever various chores need to be done, and catch up on Weeds, Gilmore Girls, or So You Think You Can Dance.

So the moral is swimming = good!

No comments: