Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A bat, a senator, and a red-head walk into a bar...

Ok, not really. But on Sunday I (the red head) went to see The Dark Knight (the bat) with Kim and Mike at the restored Senator theatre in Baltimore (the Senator).

First of all, thoughts on the movie: really good, of course. A bit long, and jam-packed with plot. Maybe too much. Obviously, Heath Ledger was brilliant (and totally freaking scary). I have to say though, for a movie about Batman, it didn't seem to really be about Batman. Harvey Dent (i.e. Two Face) was, in my opinion, the most interesting character.

And now some general thoughts on Baltimore. I used to make fun of Baltimore and describe it as as basically completely ghetto. I would tell people that I had seen Homicide: Life on the Street and knew what was up, which is actually a total lie since I haven't seen Homicide but I do know that Andre Braugher and Richard Belzer are awesome.

ANYWAY, I kinda love Baltimore now. It all started with a two-day training course my job made me take in Baltimore. Walking around downtown, I thought that this was actually a really nice city. And then I saw Hairspray and really loved the portrayal of the city. Yeah, they acknowledged it basically a craphole, but it just had so much character. And then, I began to visit Kim and Mike pretty regularly and began to notice all the pretty architecture, the diversity of the people, the good food and fun in the Inner Harbor....

I'm not saying I want to live there; if you know me at all, you know how I feel about Maryland. But I don't mind visiting. And I can understand why Mike loves it so much.

Oh, and according to Mike, the area of Baltimore Street with all the strip clubs and liquor stores that is like right downtown? It's the safest part of town because the police station is on the same block. Nice.

And now for your viewing pleasure....

Kim is shocked, SHOCKED, by the lack of movie trailers at the Senator Theatre. Seriously, we didn't get to see The Watchmen trailer. Boo.

Me and Kimmy eagerly awaiting the movie. Hey, did you guys hear that Christian Bale just got arrested for assault?? Crazy.

Here's the Senator in all it's glory. Yeah, it's kind of a big deal. For a movie theatre.

No comments: