Sunday, June 15, 2008

Latest and the Greatest

I've been receiving a lot of questions about my Mom lately, so I thought I would take the chance to fill everyone in. Mom is currently scheduled for surgery to remove her esophageal cyst on Thursday, June 26. It will require her to be in the hospital for about 2 days (hopefully no more than that), and they are going to be doing a mid-line abdominal incision.

I am trying really hard to not be nervous about this and to think that everything will end up fine. As I am 90% sure it will be. It's just that other 10% that makes me worry. At least Bill will be here with us.

As for her heart, her surgeon ordered a stress test for her to make sure her heart would be ok during the operation, and she passed with flying colors. So her heart seems to be doing fine.

But then Tim Russert died of a heart attack at the age of 58. Only a few years older than Mom. And all of a sudden we are confronted with her mortality again. And I'm not ashamed to admit, it's freaked me out a little. I just wish the surgery and the aftermath was all over and then I wouldn't have to worry about it.

PLUS, I have my first doctor's appointment in more years than I care to admit tomorrow. And that makes me nervous about myself. I mean, with my recent family history (including my Aunt's thyroid cancer--she's fine btw), it's scary to think that something might be wrong. But, if it is, I know it's better to find out. And I am sure it will be ok. I am the picture of health. *snort*

Anyway, that's where things stand. Basically, I am trying to not let myself freak out about the next couple weeks. Let's see how successful I am!

No comments: