Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Learnin the Lingo

Now that I am well into my late 20s (how did THAT happen?), it's important for me to try to keep up with what the kids are doing/saying/watching these days. I really don't want to become a fuddy-duddy. Although, I feel like using the term fuddy-duddy is in itself evidence that I am a big fuddy-duddy.

I've seen High School Musical and High School Musical 2, I've watched Hannah Montana, I've read the Twilight Saga, so I'm not exactly hopelessly out of date. And it seems the latest craze is internet focused and is called "rickrolling."

Haven't heard of it? Allow me to demonstrate:

OMG you gusys!!!!111!!! Here is the latest Hannah Montana video!! LOL!

And then you click on the link, and see Rick Astley and his slammin dance moves from the video for "Never Gonna Give You Up." The irony is that the people with whom this prank is most popular, were not alive or even a twinkle in their father's eye, when this song came out. But it's still wacky and weird and kinda awesome.

Here is the urban dictionary definition of rickrolled:

rickroll




To post a misleading link with a subject that promises to be exciting or interesting, e.g. "World of Starcraft in-game footage!" or "Paris Hilton blows Busta Rhymes' dick" but actually turns out to be the video for Rick Astley's debut single, "Never Gonna Give You Up". A variant on the duckroll. Allegedly hilarious.


It's the "allegedly hilarious" that makes it art. Also Paris Hilton?? Ew.

Oh, and here's a link to an interview with Rick himself. I swear that's a real link btw.

No comments: