Thursday, February 28, 2008

Coming Back to Normality

First of all, Mom is doing great. Today she went to the bank and got her hair done. The doctor told her she can drive again, and while she's still tired, I think she likes the freedom of being able to go out and run some errands.

I went back to the office today, and tonight I'm back home in my condo. On one hand, it feels really good to be back at my own place, to sleep in my own bed, tidy up the place, and let's be honest, watch my shows; but on the other hand, I feel bad about leaving Mom by herself. Not because I'm worried something will happen to her, I think we're passed that point (knock on wood), but because I know she gets lonely and wanted me to stay. Last night she gave me the old, "I wish you would move back..." comment in a little pitiful voice. Which didn't make me feel great. I mean, I can't move back. I have my own home. But I have actually liked spending time with her these past weeks, I wish it could have been under better circumstances, but we've had fun hanging out. In the evenings, we curl up on her bed and watch Gilmore Girls (WHY have I not watched this show before???) and I have enjoyed taking care of her. In a lot of ways, this whole heart attack thing has brought us closer together.

In any event, I'm getting back to my normal schedule, but it doesn't help that I seem to have caught a pesky cold. Or at least the beginnings of one. Sore throat, fatigue, post-nasal drip, sneezing, all check. No cough yet, thank the lord, but it could be waiting just around the bend! Actually, after spending 9 days in the hospital, it's amazing I didn't catch pneumonia or anything. So I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

So that's the latest and the greatest, hopefully now the blog will return to its usual critique of the foibles of others.

Mom Quote of the Month:

Mom (to the technicians at the hospital as they prepared to move her for the cardiac catheterization): Why can't I just move myself onto the table?
Technician: Because you're having a heart attack, lady!!
Mom: Fair enough.

No comments: