Saturday, August 12, 2006

Return of the Attack of the Condos!

Remember when I said I was going to sit back and not look at condos for awhile? Yeah, that didn’t really happen. As the DC housing market cools off, and interest rates stop rising, now turns out to be the perfect time to buy, so here I am again. My weekends are full of meetings with my realtor, checking out units, and looking for an affordable couch that won’t fall apart the minute someone sits on it. And, I am already pre-approved for a mortgage up to $250,000!

Right now I have been looking at a lot of one bedroom units, mostly in the Van Dorn area near Landmark Mall, about 20 minutes from where I live now. But Mom wants me to live in a high-rise about 3 minutes from where I live now called River Towers which is slightly pricier because this is the posh side of Alexandria. The units there are actually really nice, but they don’t have balconies, so I’m not sure what’s going to happen with that. Unless I can get a real bargain in that building, it might not happen.

The front-runner so far is a building called The Wapleton where Duke Street and Pickett intersect, just west of Old Town. Of course, upon hearing the name of the building, my mother says, “Oh! That must be named after Dr. Waple who owned all the land in that area. He ran the El Paw veterinary clinic, which is Waple spelled backwards, and I bet he sold all the land to the developer!” Her knowledge of the Northern Virginia area is really staggering. And not only is she correct, but the El Paw vet is still there and is about 1 block from where I would be living. Nice work Mom! Now shut it.

Also in contention is a fixer-upper unit near the Huntinton Metro with a gorgeous river view and HUGE closets. Always a plus. There are just a ton of units on the market right now, and every place we visit the owners are calling my realtor and asking if I want to make an offer and they are ready to deal. People are getting desperate! And you know the value of these places is never going to go down. They are inside the Beltway for goodness sake! Basically, it’s a really good investment.

Also on the condo newsfront, my Dad has been pressuring me to look at two bedroom places but I figured I couldn’t afford the monthly payments the first couple months by myself. Then I talk to Caroline, who is dying to get out of DC, and she said if I found a good place she would be my roomie! Now, I know I have said I want to live by myself, but how much fun would me and Caroline have? Imagine the hours of tv watching that would get logged in that apartment…it boggles the mind.

So stay tuned for condo updates! I am thinking I’ll be making an offer on a place near the end of this month. So exciting!

Quote of the Day (from my brother):
Bill: Alright, chipmunk. This is your last warning. You come up here again and I'll samurai-sword you!"
Me: What are you talking about?
Bill: The chipmunk eats through my dryer vent from the backyard and crawls up into it and leaves his nuts. The first time was a misunderstanding. The next time is just mean.

Currently Listening To: “Escapology” by Robbie Williams.

Currently Reading: “Night Chills” by Dean Koontz.

No comments: