Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Going Meatless

I love meat. Well, I love protein, but since I don't like beans or other similar sources of non-meat protein, meat is usually my go-to. But I also understand that too much of a good thing (mmm....animal flesh) is a bad thing. So I have lately been trying to explore more vegetarian-friendly options that will still leave me feeling full and won't cause my arteries to harden.

Now the recipe below, I know I am going to lose many of you with the first ingredient. Namely, Morning Star Soy Crumbles. Yes, it is soy. But it is also delicious.



In case you aren't familiar, the crumbles mimic the flavor and consistency of ground beef, but are made from soy. I decided to pair them with another product I picked up at the grocery story, La Tortilla high fiber tortillas. Mexican food (specifically items in tortillas) are not very diet friendly since those tortillas pack a ton of calories. But La Tortilla brand have only 50 calories each and are low carb and high fiber. So Mexican is back on the menu, boys!*

I decided to go with a classic taco. I cooked up some veggies (peppers and onion) and then threw some of the crumbles in the pan. Some water, taco seasoning, and about 1 minute later I had my taco filling! 



I added some chopped tomatoes for fun, but sadly didn't have any salsa in the house. 



The tacos definitely hit the Mexican spot, but I'm not gonna lie, there was a bit of an aftertaste from the low calorie tortillas. But this is the price you pay to look fabulous, right? Next time I am going to add more taco seasoning and salsa to make a more complex flavor. And I might even throw in some hot sauce to add more kick. 

Total calorie count for both tacos: 200 calories. Seriously, two big tacos for only 200 calories.


*That's a Lord of the Rings movie reference, in case you missed it. 



No comments: