Sunday, April 14, 2013

Lemon-Lime Cupcakes or....Maggie's 7 Up Yours Cupcakes

What to do with a bag of left over limes? A few weeks ago, I hosted an epic Game of Thrones Season 2 rewatch featuring a signature cocktail with lime garnish. Silly me, but it turns out most people aren't interested in drinking cocktails at 11 o'clock in the morning (losers). Which means I ended up with a bag full of limes and no immediate use for them.

What's a girl to do? Make cupcakes, duh.

So I thought, it's Spring, what could be more refreshing than some lime-flavored cupcakes? A quick google search revealed the perfect recipe--usually I make cupcakes from scratch but with a three week vacation on the horizon my time is really limited, so I decided to use a box mix as a base.

The recipe calls for a box of white cake mix, but that's too boring. Also, I had a box of lemon cake mix on hand so my lime cupcakes turned into lemon-lime cupcakes. Yum!

Maggie's 7 Up Yours Cupcakes 

1 box (18.25 oz) lemon cake mix

3/4 cup key lime juice (about 5 limes)

1/4 cup water

1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil

3 whole eggs

1 tsp. lime zest

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, blend all the ingredients until the cake mix is moistened. Then beat the mixture for two minutes with a mixer on low speed or with a wire whisk. Evenly divide the cake batter among paper baking liners (about 2/3 full). Bake in the oven for 18 to 22 minutes. Frost with your favorite icing--I would recommend something light (like a whipped frosting) since these come out very citrusy. Not overwhelming, but it makes for a really tart cupcake.

No comments: