Monday, April 11, 2011

Surprise! You are an adult.

Sometimes, you're going along being yourself, acting all happy, and all of a sudden adulthood slaps you in the face. Just in case you needed a little reminder. It's like the universe wanted to say, "you are acting far too happy and fancy free. Remember how this thing is supposed to work: life is hard, yo."

I was having a really great weekend, I helped a friend move and at the same time got to hang out with a bunch of other friends, went out for an awesome dinner (where I had some of this, which is one of the best things I have ever eaten), and then got to hang out with friends and watch a movie, some episodes of Veronica Mars, and drink Bailey's and cherry whiskey. Fun, right?

And then the next morning I was confronted with one of the grossest things I have seen: at some point during the night, the kitchen drain backed up and the entire sink was full of nasty, weird colored water and strange floating things that might have been bits of cereal but easily could have been any other non-identified icky organic matter.

If you've never had a backed-up kitchen sink you are lucky; this was my first and it's not an experience I am eager to relive. I tried everything: a home remedy made up of baking soda and vinegar, plunging the drain, and even two whole bottles of Drano. Nada. Tito suggests emptying the trap with a bucket, but first all all, I don't know where the trap is, and second, that sounds gross. I'd rather just pay the 30 bucks to have the maintenance guys come in an snake the drain or empty the whatever-it-is-trap.

As of this morning, the drain was still clogged (but the Drano must have had some effect because the sink had drained of water during the night--although an almost inch deep layer of DEAR GOD WHAT IS THAT was left behind) but I had been told a maintenance man would most likely come by today to take care of it. So fingers crossed. It would certainly be nice to do dishes and not have my sink resemble the Bog of Eternal Stench from Labyrinth.

Also, thanks for reminding me of my responsibilities, universe. Just when I thought I was on a roll and could indulge in some fun, I get a helpful little reminder that I am over 30 and a homeowner. Bright side: no kids were involved in this message from life. If there had been, I am sure the issue would have been bodily fluid rather than appliance related.

No comments: