Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Potter Protest!

I know what you are thinking. "Mags, I happen to know that you are a huge Harry Potter fan, so WHY would you be protesting those awesome books?"

Ah, but see, I wasn't protesting the books. I was protesting that cowardly bureaucratic establishment, the Ministry of Magic! For too long the Ministry has served to keep fellow creatures from exercising their equal rights and has embarked on a campaign of disinformation against the public!

Or, maybe I was in DC to participate in a Pottercast and Wizard Wrock meetup. (Hint--the correct answer is the last one).

On a lovely day last month, my friend Dorilyn and I took some leave and skipped out of work early (oh, how I love working for the feds) to meet the Pottercast peeps on their summer tour. Pottercast, one of my favorite podcasts, is travelling around the country this summer with The Whomping Willows and The Remus Lupins talking Potter at libraries, bookstore, and even on the National Mall.

The whole gang was there, Melissa, John, Frak, all except Sue, whom I assume was unable to abandon her familial responsibilities to drive around in a creepy looking rape van all summer. There was a group of about 40 of us (mostly teenagers, I am not ashamed to admit), some parents, and me and Dori, and we just sat around and shot the shit about Potter.

It was a little structured; some of Pottercast's segments made an appearance: Canon Conundrums (discussing aspects of the Ministry which it turns out...nobody really knows a lot about), Are You Smarter Than John Noe (yes, it turns out most people there were smarter than him), and occasional musical breaks to give the bands a chance to play.

I say bands but it was really just the dudes with their acoustic guitars playing for us as we assembled under a tree. But it was awesome, and I'm sure we got mistaken for hippies or something.

We had protest signs (Umbridge is Dumbridge), sang protest songs (Werewolf Rights!) and in general just enjoyed the gorgeous weather and talked Potter. I was able to get my copy of Melissa's book, Harry, A History, autographed, and a bought a CD to add to my Wizard Wrock collection.

All of it was just getting me into the mood for the Half-Blood Prince release which I'll be seeing in, oh, 8 hours at the midnight show! Leaving time for a nap of course. I'm not as young and resilient as I used to be.

In the mean time, pictures!


The group under a tree chatting about the Ministry of Magic.

Being serenaded by the Wizard Wrockers.


A fan tests her Potter knowledge against John Noe (in the yellow t-shirt) during Are You Smarter Than John Noe? Melissa, in the green and standing in the middle, acts as our host.


Singing protest songs with our signs!


Group shot!

No comments: